Academic Areas: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship, Event Management
Courses Taught: Entrepreneurship for BA and MBA, Social Entrepreneurship, Event Management
Amelia Hagen is an Instructor at the American University of Central Asia. She moved to Kyrgyzstan in January 2018.
Sparked by her Semester at Sea voyage around the world, Amelia moved to Japan to teach English, manage events, and lead international relations projects with government ministries for five years on the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program. She followed that up with coordinating sustainable enterprise initiatives in England, and facilitating professional development seminars and workshops for CIMBA Italy Study Abroad Programs in Northern Italy.
Looking to combine relevant skills, Amelia co-founded Big Spoons, a social enterprise consultancy, and subsequently served as a consultant, coach, and mentor for the Big Spoons Lasallian Social Enterprise Bootcamp in conjunction with the British Council and De La Salle University in Manila, Philippines. In summer 2017, she began a stint as a facilitator and trainer for the US State Department-sponsored Saudi Young Leaders Exchange Program, in which 30+ Saudi young professionals come to the US to learn leadership skills and develop entrepreneurial projects to be implemented back in Saudi Arabia. In between all of this, she has developed, organized, and managed dozens of international events across three continents.
Amelia completed a Bachelor’s of Business Administration in Process Management and Consulting at The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. She was later awarded a Master’s of Science (Summa Cum Laude) in International Event Management, focusing on sports mega-events, from the University of Brighton (UK). More recently, she graduated with an Master of Business Administration from the University of Iowa’s Italy Program, specializing in organizational leadership and serving as her class’s formal graduation speaker.
Amelia delights in working at the dynamic intersection of leadership, entrepreneurship, events, and international relations. While an experienced traveler, venturing to over 80 countries so far, she is also passionate about lifelong learning, the empowerment of women, contemporary art, hip hop music, languages, and the ability of sports events to build bridges.
- HENRY B. TIPPIE SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
Master of Business Administration, CIMBA Italy International Program, July 2016
- UNIVERSITY OF BRIGHTON, Master of Science in International Event Management, February 2015 Brighton, UK
- THE COLLEGE OF WILLIAM AND MARY Williamsburg, VA, USA, Bachelor of Business Administration, Process Management and Consulting, May 2008
- Speaker – TEDxUniversityofBrighton 2016, TEDxEastsidePrep 2017
- Wedu Global Leadership Mentor for a Rising Star in Pakistan
- Volunteering: EXPO Milano 2015, Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup Preliminary Draw, Rio 2016 Olympic Games, FIFA Confederations Cup Russia 2017, Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup Final Draw
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY SERVICE:
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ASIA Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
School of Entrepreneurship and Business Administration (SEBA) Instructor January 2017-Present
- LEGACY INTERNATIONAL / U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE Washington, D.C.
Saudi Young Leaders Exchange Program Facilitator, Trainer, and Trip Leader June 2017 –Present
- Pro-bono Consultant October 2017- December 2017
- BIG SPOONS Manila, Philippines, Co-founder and Consultant April 2017-Present
- INDEPENDENT EVENT AND CONSULTING WORK Worldwide Manager and Organizer August 2009-Present
- CIMBA ITALY STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMS Asolo, Italy Senior Program Coordinator August 2014-June 2016
- UNIVERSITY OF BRIGHTON STUDENTS’ UNION Brighton, UK, Bright ‘n’ Green Project GreenSkills Coordinator December 2013-July 2014
- THE JAPAN EXCHANGE AND TEACHING (JET) PROGRAMME Kitakyushu, Japan
Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) August 2008-August 2013
- TEDXFUKUOKA Fukuoka, Japan, Head English Editor and Social Media Team Lead March 2013-June 2013
- TEDXTOKYO Tokyo, Japan, Social Media Staff Member March 2013-June 2013
- NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE JET PROGRAMME (AJET) Kitakyushu/Tokyo, Japan
Treasurer (Executive Council) / Director of Corporate Advertising June 2011-May 2013
- THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA Charlottesville, VA, USA, Summer Enrichment Program Head Counselor February 2006-August 2007
+996 312 915000 (ext. 466)
New Campus – room 215